Crafting is a great way to bond with your kids while keeping them entertained. Plastic coffee cans are an inexpensive and versatile crafting material perfect for encouraging creativity. With just a few simple supplies, you can transform these empty containers into fun and unique projects. From charming animals and whimsical planters to imaginative toys and decorations, there are countless possibilities for crafting with plastic coffee cans. Not only are these projects fun and easy for kids, but they also give you the chance to get creative and make something special.
Here are 5 fun and easy plastic coffee can crafts for kids that will help you get started.
What Supplies are Needed
To make plastic coffee can crafts, here’s a list of things you might need:
- Plastic coffee cans: For these projects, you’ll want to use empty, clean plastic coffee cans with lids. You can find these at your local grocery store, at most dollar stores, or you can purchase them online.
- Crafting materials: Depending on the project you choose to create, you’ll need a variety of different crafting materials. For example, for a tin can car, you’ll need paint, paintbrushes, and wheels. However, to make a can lids craft, you’ll need paper, scissors, and a glue stick.
- Markers: These are great for decorating the can and adding detail to your craft.
- Glue: You’ll want to use glue if you want to make a lasting project.
If you have a budding zookeeper, a tin can animal craft is an easy project that will keep kids busy for hours. You can create a variety of different animals, such as a hippo, elephant, or gorilla. You can also use different colors of paint to create different species, such as a blue elephant or a pink hippo. Once the paint dries, you can use markers to color in the details of your animal, such as the eyes or mouth. You can also decorate the can and add a paper tail to create a fun stuffed animal. To create a fun hedgehog can craft, you can use green paint to cover the can and add a paper spine. You can also use markers to draw a face on the can to create a cute hedgehog.
Create a planter out of a coffee can by adding a drainage hole to the bottom of the can. You can use a nail or a drill to make the hole. Once the hole is made, you can use dirt to fill the can and plant flowers or herbs. You can also paint and decorate the can to transform it into a decorative planter. You can create a charming coffee can succulent planter by adding a few holes to the bottom of the can for drainage and then adding soil, a few rocks, and some succulents. If you want to create a unique coffee can herb planter, use a can that has a handle. Try painting the can to add color and decorate the planter. You can also use some decorative stones to cover the bottom of the can to prevent the soil from seeping through the bottom.
Transform a can into quirky decorations perfect for adding brightness to any room. Paint the can yellow and add a paper face to create a fun coffee can sun. Or, paint the can blue and add a red paper face to create a silly coffee can moon. You can also cut out shapes from paper, such as hearts or stars, and glue them to the can to create a unique decorative piece. To create a coffee can bouquet, paint the can yellow and add flowers to the can using a glue gun. You can also use coffee cans to create quirky wall art. For example, you can use a stencil to paint words or a design on the can and then add it to a wall using a piece of string or tack.
Transform an old coffee can into a fun toy that your child can play with indoors or out. A coffee can drum is a great way to pass the time while sitting around the house on a rainy day. You can modify this project to create a shaker or tambourine. You can also transform an empty can into a fun wind spinner that kids can play with outside. To create a coffee can drum, remove the lid from the can and use a hammer to flatten the sides of the can.
You can also paint the can and use a piece of fabric to cover the can to create a DIY drum set. For a coffee can wind spinner, remove the lid from the can and glue a piece of paper to both sides. Then, poke a hole in the top of the can and thread a piece of string through the hole. You can use the string to spin the can by pulling it in different directions.
Transform an empty can into a fun and whimsical can pencil holder by gluing a pencil to the side of the can. Aside from that, use a can to create a unique bookend by cutting the can in half and gluing the pieces to the top and bottom of a book. Or you can use this project to create a unique decoration. Another thing you can do is create a DIY can phone holder by gluing a piece of paper to the bottom of a can, placing your phone on top of the paper, and then tapping the can on a table. You can also create a unique paperweight by gluing a paperweight to the bottom of a can.
Tips for Crafting with Kids
- Choose a project that interests your child. If your child doesn’t like the project, he or she won’t want to complete it and it defeats the purpose of crafting.
- Let your child help with choosing the supplies. This will encourage your child to get involved with the project and make him or her feel more invested in it.
- Keep the supplies simple. A craft doesn’t have to be complicated to be fun or creative.
- Offer encouragement when crafting with kids. When your child completes the project, make sure to offer praise and celebrate the accomplishment.
- Stay positive when crafting with kids. If your child makes a mistake or the project doesn’t turn out the way you hoped it would don’t get frustrated. Instead, try to find a creative way to fix it or use it as an opportunity to learn.
- Set a time limit for your child’s project. This will help keep your child focused and prevent the project from taking too long.
- Clean up as you go. This will help to minimize the amount of mess you make and will make the project last longer.
Final Words Plastic Coffee Can Crafts
Plastic coffee cans are a great crafting material perfect for encouraging creativity. With just a few simple supplies, you can transform these empty containers into fun and unique projects. From charming animals and whimsical planters to imaginative toys and decorations, there are countless possibilities for crafting with plastic coffee cans. Not only are these projects fun and easy for kids, but they also give you the chance to get creative and make something special. From one coffee can, you can create tons of different plastic coffee can crafts that are all unique and special.